With online shopping becoming increasingly popular, more and more people are turning to convenient ways to shop; yet, scams are targeting unsuspecting victims for their hard-earned money. A recent message scam presented by individuals claiming to be from Walmart has recently been reported, and experts have issued warnings against the danger it poses.
What Is the Walmart Message Scam?
The Walmart message scam is an online scheme targeting shoppers and store patrons by sending unsolicited messages, purporting to be from Walmart. Individuals receive an electronic message claiming that they have won a cash prize, such as a Walmart gift card, after entering an online prize promotion. Many people have been taken in by these false promises of prize winnings since it has come to light during the pandemic.
The scam messages instruct the recipient to follow a link to a website and enter their personal information in order to claim their prize. The website requests banking information such as bank account and routing numbers, as well as photographic IDs in order to collect the “prize.”
What Are the Signs of the Walmart Message Scam?
The Walmart message scam is quite sophisticated, so it can be difficult to spot these fraudulent messages. However, there are certain telltale signs that may help shoppers spot a potentially malicious message.
• Unsolicited messages from an online site or retailer.
• Messages that contain an urgent notification, such as “you must act soon!”
• A link to a third-party website, or a website that you have never seen before.
• Requests for banking information.
• Requests for photographic identification.
• Claim of a guarantee or prize.
• Unprofessional text or grammar in the message.
• Request to purchase additional products or services.
How Can I Avoid Falling Victim to the Walmart Message Scam?
In order to avoid falling victim to the Walmart message scam, shoppers must practice due diligence and take precautionary measures.
• Do not respond to any unsolicited messages.
• Do not click on any suspicious links.
• Do not provide any banking information.
• Do not provide your personal information to anyone online.
• If the offer sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
• If you believe that a message may be fraudulent, contact Walmart’s customer service directly to verify the offer.
• Shop online from reputable, trusted websites.
What Has Walmart Done to Help Protect Customers from This Scam?
In order to provide additional protection for customers, Walmart has launched a “Protect Our Customers” program. This program is designed to help customers protect themselves against malicious scams, such as the Walmart message scam.
The “Protect Our Customers” feature allows customers to opt-in to receive notifications each time their email address or phone number is used to attempt to make an online purchase at Walmart.com. They are also able to provide additional security settings that alert customers when suspicious activity is detected on their account.
What Should I Do If I Think I Have Fallen Victim to the Walmart Message Scam?
If you believe that you have fallen victim to the Walmart message scam or have received a suspicious message, it is important to act quickly.
• Report the message to Walmart’s customer service team.
• Change the passwords for your bank, email, and other financial accounts.
• Monitor your credit score and report any suspicious activity to your financial institutions.
• Apply for fraud protection with the three major credit bureaus: Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax.
• Report the incident to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
The Walmart message scam is a growing problem and it is crucial for shoppers to be aware of the danger it poses. With the “Protect Our Customers” program, Walmart is doing its best to help protect shoppers from falling victim to this type of malicious scam. By following the preventative measures outlined above, shoppers can protect their personal information and hard-earned money from being taken.