Do you love discovering new and incredible facts? If so, you’ll love these ‘Did You Know’ facts that are guaranteed to leave you astonished! From the world’s highest mountain to the population of cats in the US, read on to find out crazy facts that you never would’ve guessed were true.
What is the World’s Highest Mountain?
The world’s highest mountain is Mount Everest. Located in the Mahalangur Himal sub-range of the Himalayas, it stands at 8,848 meters (29,029 feet) high and is located between Nepal and Tibet. Every year, hundreds of people attempt to climb the treacherous summit and more than 200 people have died while attempting to reach the peak.
Amazing Ocean Facts
• The ocean makes up 71% of Earth’s surface.
• There is more to explore beneath the ocean than there is on land. Only 5% of our oceans have been explored.
• The deepest point of the ocean is Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench, with a depth of 10,994 meters (36,070 ft).
• The top 10 meters (33 ft) of the ocean contains 90% of the species in the ocean’s ecosystem.
Amazing Animal Facts
• The blue whale is the largest animal known to have ever existed – growing to over 30 meters (98 ft) long and weighing over 173 tons.
• A group of flamingos is called a flamboyance and can be made up of hundreds of birds.
• The sloth is the slowest animal in the world and moves at a speed of 5 meters (16 ft) per minute.
• The population of cats in the United States is almost double that of dogs with upwards of 95 million cats compared to 77 million dogs.
Weird Scientific Facts
• The human body is made up of over 40 trillion cells, which is more cells than there are stars in the Milky Way.
• Saltwater is 8 times more dense than fresh water and is the reason why the ocean is the deepest body of water on the planet.
• The average human body contains enough sulfur to run 1,000 matchsticks, enough carbon to make 900 pencils, and enough potassium to fire a toy cannon.
• Water is the only substance found naturally on Earth as a solid, liquid, and gas.
Interesting Historical Facts
• The construction of the Great Wall of China began in 212 BC and continued until 1644 as it was being extended and reinforced.
• The first ever recorded use of a parachute was for a dog in a basket that was dropped from a hot air balloon in 1783.
• The first three states to join the United States were Virginia, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts.
• The Aztec calendar was used to keep track of days, months, and years. It is believed to be one of the most accurate calendars in history.
Mind-Boggling Food Facts
• The world’s oldest edible food is honey, with the oldest jar of it dating back over 3,000 years.
• The world’s longest pizza was over 1.8 km (1.1 mi) long and was prepared by a team of Italian chefs in Naples, Italy.
• The world’s highest-priced coffee is Kopi Luwak – a coffee bean that goes through a process of partially fermenting in the guts of a cat-like mammal called a civet.
• The most expensive burger in the world is the Douche Burger, costing an incredible $666.
Fascinating Life Cycle Facts
• An ostrich egg takes the longest to hatch, taking between 42-46 days.
• The lifespan of a housefly is only 14 days.
• Humans have the longest gestation period of any land mammal and can take up to 38 weeks to bear a baby.
• The monarch butterfly can migrate over 3,000 miles per year.
Crazy Space Facts
• The universe is estimated to be approximately 13.8 billion years old, while the oldest star is believed to be at least 13.6 billion years old.
• The Earth is the only planet in the Solar System where liquid water can exist on the surface.
• The sun is made up of about 98% of the total mass in the Solar System.
• A single day on Venus is longer than its year – a day on Venus takes about 243 Earth days.
These incredible ‘Did You Know’ facts are guaranteed to leave you astonished. From the highest mountain, to the oldest edible food and from ocean creatures to space exploration, these facts span the entire world! Next time you’re having a conversation, try bringing up one of these facts and seeing the look on your friend’s faces!