Indianapolis, the capital city of Indiana, offers a wide array of experiences to enjoy for everyone. It’s the perfect destination for families, couples, and travelers who are seeking adventure or simply wanting to explore what the city has to offer. From sports to shopping to amazing restaurants, you can find everything in Indianapolis!
Whether you’re a first-time visitor or you’re visiting the city multiple times, this city won’t let you down. No matter your age or interests, we’ve curated a list of the best things to do in Indianapolis that’ll make your exploring extremely fruitful.
Family-Friendly Activities in Indianapolis
Indianapolis is a great destination for a family trip, as it features plenty of fun and exciting activities to keep you entertained. If you’re planning a trip, here are some of the best places to visit with your family in the city.
• Indianapolis Zoo – Located on the White River, the Indianapolis Zoo is home to more than 6,000 animals from over 300 species. Whether you’re into observing the marine life or you’re looking to visit with the local wildlife, the Indianapolis Zoo is a great place for a family outing.
• Indianapolis Museum of Art – If you’re looking to educate and entertain your family, take a visit to the Indianapolis Museum of Art. You’ll get lost in the wide variety of artwork, sculptures, photographs and artifacts that can be found within the walls of the museum.
• White River State Park – For spectacular views, you can’t miss out on the opportunity to visit White River State Park. Located on the banks of the White River, this park offers lush gardens, an aquarium, boat tours, a canal and loads more activities to keep the kids entertained.
• Indiana State Museum – If you’re looking for the full scoop on all things Indiana, the Indiana State Museum is the place to go. Here, you can find a variety of interactive exhibits, artifacts, and displays that’ll teach you history, STEM, and more as you explore the museum.
Things to Do in Indianapolis for Adults
When it comes to activities for adults, Indianapolis has no shortage of alternatives. Here are some of the best things to do in the city for those who are 18 and older.
• Mass Ave. – Mass Ave, or Massachusetts Avenue, is the perfect place explore the city’s nightlife, local cuisine, and culture. Home to an array of restaurants, bars, galleries, shops, and theaters, Mass Ave has something for everyone, whether you’re looking to have a night out with friends, or a romantic evening for two.
• Monument Circle – For a great view of the city and a peaceful area that’s perfect for people-watching, there’s no better place than Monument Circle. Located in the heart of Downtown Indianapolis, visitors can take a walk around the monument and appreciate the beautiful architecture, fountains and artwork.
• Canal Walk – For a great outdoor adventure, pay a visit to the Canal Walk. This three-mile stretch of walking paths allows visitors to explore the city’s history and get close to nature. With a variety of restaurants and cafes alongside the scenic canals and riverfront views, you can take in the beauty of this area while also enjoying the city.
• Conversation Room at the Alexander – The Conversation Room at the Alexander is the perfect place to get the party started. Located in the fashionable heart of Indianapolis, you can enjoy drinks and small plates while listening to live DJs and taking in the atmosphere.
Couples Activities in Indianapolis
If you’re planning a date night or romantic getaway to Indianapolis, here are some of the best things for couples to do in the city.
• Bottleworks – Families and couples alike can get their fill of good food, drinks, and fun at Bottleworks. Home to a variety of restaurants, shops, and entertainment, this historic district is an ideal spot for a day out with a significant other. From the tasting rooms to the unique shops, there’s plenty of opportunities for couples to spend quality time together.
• Broad Ripple Village – This vibrant neighborhood is full of restaurants, galleries, and boutiques for couples to explore. Whether you’re searching for a cozy café where you can catch up over some drinks or you’re looking to explore the area’s culture, you can find it all here in Broad Ripple Village.
• IndyBrew – Enjoy a cold brew or two at IndyBrew, a microbrewery with a taproom situated in the heart of the city. The perfect spot for craft beer lovers, you and your significant other can relax and savor the craft beer while also noshing on some delicious food.
• Gallery 924 – If you’re looking for a one-of-a-kind date night, then you won’t want to miss out on Gallery 924. This contemporary art gallery showcases traveling and locally-made exhibits, featuring a variety of mediums from paint to sculpture, to photography.
Staying in Indianapolis
If you’re planning an extended getaway in Indianapolis, you’ll want to find the best place to stay during your visit. Here are some of the top lodging options for visitors of all budgets.
• Airbnb – Airbnb is always a great option for travelers who are looking for a unique experience during their stay. Indianapolis has a wide variety of Airbnb rentals available, from cozy cabins to metropolitan lofts, you can find it all on the site.
• Hotels – From full-service resorts to budget-friendly motels, Indianapolis offers accommodations for everyone. Whether you’re looking to stay in the city center or if you’d prefer to stay in the outskirts, there are plenty of hotels to choose from.
• Bed and breakfast – Looking for a more intimate experience during your stay in Indianapolis? Consider staying at a bed and breakfast. Intimate, private and full of character, the city’s B&Bs offer a unique way to experience the city.
• Campgrounds – For travelers on a budget, camping is always a great option. There are plenty of campgrounds in and around Indianapolis, ranging from cozy sites amid nature, to full-service campsites with plumbed bathroom, wifi and more.
When you’re all settled in, you’ll want to explore the city. Whether you’re planning to stay for a day or if you’re visiting for an extended vacation, there are plenty of ways to get around.
• Walk – The best way to explore the city is to take a walk. City residents love taking strolls through their downtown and neighborhoods, and visitors can take in the city’s unique atmosphere and discover hidden gems.
• Car – Indianapolis is a very driver friendly city, and you can easily get to your desired destinations with the help of GPS. Be sure to research the routes you’d like to take beforehand, as well as the parking restrictions where your destination is located.
• Public Transit – If you’d rather save a few dollars during your trip, consider utilizing the public transit system that Indianapolis has to offer. The public transit offers buses, blue line trolleys, and paratransit services so you can get around without a car.
No matter your age or interests, Indianapolis has plenty of options to keep you entertained. Whether you’re visiting with the family, your partner or even by yourself, there are plenty of activities to do that are sure to satisfy your desired entertainment goals. Whatever you’re planning to do in Indianapolis, you’ll definitely be spoiled with choices. So get out there and explore the city and make sure to indulge in the shopping, nightlife, restaurants, culture and more. You won’t regret it!