Getting serious with someone often begins with getting to know them better. When it comes to romance and relationships, it’s important to ask your partner the tough questions to gain a clearer understanding of who they are and deepen your bond. If the two of you are getting serious and thought about taking the next step, it’s a good idea to have a serious conversation first. Here are ten important questions you should ask your girlfriend before getting serious.
Questions About Beliefs and Values
If you haven’t already, it’s a great idea to have a serious talk with your partner about your own beliefs and values. It’s essential to be on the same page about these items in order to strengthen the relationship and make sure your values are aligned. Additionally, these questions can help uncover any potential issues or problems before taking things to a deeper level.
- What are your beliefs about marriage and commitment?
- What are your values and priorities when it comes to relationships?
- What are your expectations of intimacy within a committed relationship?
- What would be your ideal type of relationship?
- Are you willing to make changes in your life if needed to accommodate something important to me?
Questions About Goals and Dreams
It’s also important to ask your girlfriend questions relating to her dreams and goals. Knowing what she wants out of life and her plans to accomplish those dreams can give you a good indication as to whether or not you can help each other achieve those dreams.
- What are your short-term and long-term goals?
- Are you willing to make sacrifices if needed in order to reach your goals?
- Do you have any plans on how you intend to reach your goals?
- How do you handle failure when it comes to your goals?
- Are you open to change or challenge your goals if needed?
Questions About Love and Romance
It’s also important to discuss your mutual feelings about love and romance. This can help you understand how your partner views and expresses love, as well as where his/her heart lies in the relationship.
- What does love mean to you?
- How do you express your love to someone?
- How do you feel when you are in love?
- Are you willing to compromise when it comes to love and romance?
- What makes a romantic relationship successful to you?
Questions About Family and Friends
Another important topic to discuss before getting serious is family and friends. This will help you gain a better understanding of your partner’s support system and the importance they place on that support system.
- What role do your family and friends play in your life?
- How do you handle family disagreements or fights?
- How often do you spend time with your family and friends?
- How important is it to you to have a close family and friend relationship?
- How do you handle disagreements with friends or family?
Questions About Money and Financial Goals
It’s not always a topic couples want to talk about, but money does play an important role in any relationship. Knowing your partner’s views on money, spending habits, attitudes, and goals can help you gain an understanding of how he/she may handle money if the two of you decide to combine finances.
- What are your financial goals?
- What is your attitude towards spending money?
- Are you willing to make financial sacrifices in order to achieve your goals?
- How do you handle disagreements over money?
- Are you comfortable with discussing finances with your partner?
Questions About Personal Life
When it comes to getting serious with someone, you should also make sure that you’re both on the same page with things relating to your personal life. From job interests to hobbies and more, finding out more about your partner’s personal life can help you gain a better understanding of their likes and dislikes.
- What are your hobbies and interests?
- Are you open to trying new hobbies and activities?
- What kind of career do you see yourself having?
- Do you have any plans for the future (other than a romantic relationship)?
- How do you typically handle stress, work, and family obligations?
Questions About Life Goals
Not only is it important to know what your partner’s goals and dreams are, but it’s also important to understand what kind of life he/she wants for himself/herself. From travel aspirations to life after retirement, having a better understanding of their life goals can help you think of ways you can support him/her in achieving these goals.
- What do you hope to achieve in the next five to 10 years?
- How do you envision your life at retirement?
- Are you open to traveling and making new experiences?
- What do you think success and happiness look like to you?
- What kind of personal growth are you interested in achieving?
Questions About Intimacy and Romance
Intimacy and romance play a huge role in any serious relationship, so it’s important to have a conversation about expectations and boundaries. You don’t want to assume anything when it comes to these topics and it’s essential to make sure that you are both on the same page.
- What does intimacy mean to you?
- Are there any boundaries and expectations around intimacy that should be discussed beforehand?
- Are you open to trying new things in the bedroom?
- Are you comfortable with discussing your desires and needs?
- How do you handle disagreements in the bedroom?
Questions About Commitment
Finally, it’s a good idea to talk about commitment and what it means to the both of you. Finding out how your girlfriend views commitment and what that looks like for her can help you both decide if you’re both at the same place in the relationship.
- What does commitment mean to you in a relationship?
- How long do you typically wait before committing to someone?
- How do you handle disagreements in a committed relationship?
- What qualities do you look for in a committed partner?
- Are you open to taking the necessary steps for a commitment?
Asking your partner these important questions before getting serious can give you an idea of where both of you stand on certain topics and if you’re both on the same page when it comes to matters important to the relationship. Asking these questions can help you clear up any potential issues that could arise later on and help you both decide if taking the next step is the right step for the both of you. With these ten questions, you can make sure that you have those serious conversations with your girlfriend and get the answers you need before getting serious.